We are happy to announce the recipients of the 2023 MEDEX Student Scholarships. There are eight scholarship categories, each named after an individual of particular signficance to the MEDEX Northwest PA program. Decisions are based primarily on the evaluation by MEDEX Northwest leadership of short essays submitted by the students with stated interests in specific scholarships. The choices are never easy, but we celebrate each of this year’s recipients. 

Liza Benson Scholarship

Michael Miller of MEDEX Tacoma Class 10 is the recipient of the 2023 Liza Benson Scholarship. Liza Benson was MEDEX Seattle Class 45 student who lost her life in a skiing accident upon returning to her native Wyoming for clinical rotations. This scholarship recognizes MEDEX students who share Liza’s spirit of adventure, and who have plans to practice in a wilderness or rural setting within the WWAMI region.

Michael Miller: I am overwhelmed with gratitude and extremely honored to receive the 2023 Liza Benson Scholarship. This award encompasses the goals and values that I have set for myself as a future provider in addition to the spirit of adventure that I share with Liza. Thank you to the scholarship committee and the family of Liza Benson for making this scholarship possible.

Barbara Gunter-Flynn Scholarship

Nhung Jessen of MEDEX Spokane Class 26 is the recipient of the 2023 Barbara Gunter-Flynn Scholarship. Barbara Gunter-Flynn graduated from MEDEX in 1979 and helped to launch the MEDEX Spokane campus. As a PA, Gunter-Flynn was committed to expanding care to the medically underserved. This scholarship goes to a student who is similarly inspirational and shares a commitment to service of the medically underserved.

Jessen Nhung: I am grateful to receive the 2023 Barbara Gunter-Flynn Award. This scholarship will aid my training to become a PA who vicariously spreads Barbara’s energy for connecting and maintaining strong relationships in our region and worldwide.

Christopher A. Heim Memorial Student Support Fund

Daniel Bilyard of MEDEX Seattle Class 55 is the recipient of the 2023 Christopher A. Heim Student Support Fund. Chris Heim was a graduate of Seattle MEDEX Class 41. Prior to becoming a PA, Chris served in U.S. Army for 23 years as Special Forces medic and master sergeant. Chris had just established a private practice when his life was cut short in a motorcycle accident. This scholarship recognizes an outstanding military veteran among the current MEDEX student cohort.

Daniel Bilyard: Receiving the Chris Heim scholarship is an honor. The PA profession was founded because of military veterans, and MEDEX was started with military veterans in mind. My training and time as a healthcare specialist (combat medic) in the U.S. Army has helped prepare me to become a PA while upholding my values that I have from my time in the Army. MEDEX has so many wonderful and strong military veterans so to receive this award is truly an honor.

Jennifer Johnston Scholarship

Karen Alexander of MEDEX Spokane Class 25 is the recipient of the 2023 Jennifer Johnston Scholarship. Jennifer Johnston was the program Administrator and Admissions Director at MEDEX for 30 years. She funds this scholarship as a way to recognize students who have demonstrated tenacity at overcoming life’s hurdles, and a commitment to rise above significant obstacles on their pathway to becoming physician assistants.

Karen Alexander: I am grateful to have been selected to receive the Jennifer Johnston scholarship.  In reflection about what this award means to me, I’m reminded of the saying, the stronger wind, the stronger trees. For all of the challenges we face in life, there are always valuable lessons to learn that can help make us stronger and better people. Thank you for recognizing my ability to prevail.

Mike Merrill Scholarship

Afsan Ghaneian of MEDEX Seattle Class 55 is the recipient of the 2023 Mike Merrill Scholarship. Mike Merrill graduated with MEDEX Class 26 and worked in the ER at Group Health. After Mike passed away, his family and friends established an endowed scholarship fund to support students interested in a career in emergency medicine. This award goes to a second-year student planning to enter practice in emergency medicine.

Afsan Ghaneian: I am filled with immense gratitude for being awarded the Mike Merrill Scholarship. Receiving this scholarship will reinforce my unwavering dedication to pursuing a career in emergency medicine and urgent care. I am honored to have been chosen as a recipient, and I am committed to make a positive impact in the medical field. I am grateful for the support provided by this scholarship and thank you for your belief in my abilities and investing in my future.

Susan Vader Scholarship

Mindy Alexander of MEDEX Tacoma Class 10 is the recipient of the 2023 Susan Vader Scholarship. Sue Vader graduated with MEDEX Class 27 and worked for several years with the Whidbey Community Physicians group. After Sue passed away, the clinic and her family established a scholarship fund in her name. This award goes to students with an interest in family practice or women’s health.

Mindy Alexander: I am thankful to be selected as the recipient of the Susan Vader scholarship. I have waited a long time to pursue my dream of becoming a PA. This recognition is a meaningful moment in my journey. 

Ruth Ballweg Endowed Fund for Leadership in MEDEX

Ruth Ballweg, MPH, PA-C Emeritus (1944-2022) served for 29 years as the Program Director of MEDEX Northwest and oversaw the expansion of campus sites to Spokane, Yakima, Alaska, and Tacoma. In 2017, she created the Endowed Fund for Leadership in MEDEX to support current MEDEX students in their development of leadership roles within the profession. Three students are awarded this year’s Ruth Ballweg Scholarship.

Vickie Bounkousohn (MEDEX Kona Class 3)

“I am incredibly honored to be chosen as a recipient of the Ruth Ballweg Endowed Fund! One of my top goals during my PA education was to attend the 2023 AAPA conference to spread awareness about our program and pursue more leadership development opportunities, in hopes of sharing this knowledge with my campus and community in Hawai’i. Attending the AAPA conference with the help of this award has been the highlight of my didactic year. I hope to emulate Ruth’s legacy as a future PA leader in my community!”

Forest Gauthier (MEDEX Seattle Class 56)

I feel grateful to be receiving this award and it is helping cover the cost of my AAPA attendance this year. Connecting with other PAs and students was an incredibly meaningful experience, and I learned a lot about how to get my foot in the door for presenting future research and contributions I would like to make. My capstone is working on integrating and improving transgender affirming care in both PA school education and best practices in the clinical setting. Leadership and advocacy are important to me and thank you to the MEDEX team for supporting me in my endeavors and choosing me to receive the Ruth Ballweg Fund this year!

Michael Laughlin (MEDEX Tacoma Class 10)

I am extremely blessed and fortunate to be chosen as a recipient for the Ruth Ballweg scholarship. When applying for this scholarship, I found a strong resonance with Ruth’s belief in the PA profession, as well as her dedication to its expansion. As the WAPA class representative for my cohort, I have seen the importance of strong interprofessional collaboration, and I applaud Ruth for all she has done to promote our profession. I believe that PAs will continue to have a strong influence within our healthcare system, and are truly essential to its functionality.  I am humbled to be a recipient for this scholarship and happy that it has afforded me the ability to attend the WAPA spring conference next year. 

Dr. Richard Smith Scholarship

Dr. Richard Smith was the originator of the MEDEX Northwest program and a founding father of the PA profession. This award goes to potential leaders and visionaries who exhibit a commitment to increasing access to healthcare for the underserved. Five students, one from each of the five MEDEX campuses, are awarded this year’s prestigious Richard Smith Scholarship.

Jennilee Kho (MEDEX Anchorage Class 14)

My passion for medicine was inspired by my mother, an RN, who pioneered free healthcare in underserved, rural areas where my family is from. Like Dr. Richard Smith, but on a modest scale, my mother devoted her life to helping people access healthcare & education as well as providing refuge & support to anyone in need. This motivated me to travel & volunteer internationally & locally in underserved areas & clinics for most of my life. I am honored & eager to continue these endeavors as a physician assistant in hopes of making an impact in underserved communities that contributes to Dr. Smith’s vision & extraordinary legacy. It is beyond a privilege to be recognized as a potential leader in a vocation so meaningful to me that shaped who I am & that I will commit my future career to as Dr. Smith did.

Rachael McCrady (MEDEX Spokane Class 26) 

I took a windy, round about path to the PA profession, as do many PAs. There was a lot of self-doubt along the way, but slowly, slowly the path has solidified. Receiving the Richard Smith Scholarship was one more stone in that path reminding me that I am in the right place, here at MEDEX. To be the recipient of the award (for Spokane campus) dedicated to the innovative, inspiring, and fearless leader of this program is an incredible honor. I hope to be able to continue his legacy in leadership in medicine, and at MEDEX. 

Jake Ehlert (MEDEX Tacoma Class 9)

When I think about Richard Smith, what first comes to mind is his vision for change but also his courage to go against the status quo to see his vision through. I am honored that the scholarship committee sees the same qualities in me. I hope to honor his legacy as a MEDEX graduate by continuing to advocate for improvements to healthcare delivery in my community.

Gabriel Time (MEDEX Kona Class 3)

I am grateful to have been chosen for the Dr. Richard Smith Scholarship. Dr. Smith’s goal for the Kona campus was to increase access to healthcare. I believe our class accepted that challenge head on. Through our initiative we started to present the PA profession to the school kids in the local communities, we believe we will see the direct benefits of our efforts in the relatively near future. As I am the one accepting this award, this could not have been possible without fellow classmates Kayana Kamoku & Savannah Udac, the school teachers, the school administrators, everyone who brought their time and efforts to the schools, the Kona Faculty/Staff, and most importantly the local students in the community that allowed us to come into their worlds to present the PA profession. Our vision is for this initiative to continue to grow with future classes for years to come.

Agnes Lovell (MEDEX Seattle Class 56)

It’s an honor to have the opportunity to be associated with the legacy of Dr. Richard Smith by receiving this scholarship. His contribution to medicine and dedication to empowering the next generation of healthcare providers is truly inspiring. He created lasting change by educating others and providing them with resources to expand that knowledge and improve healthcare access globally. Providing caregivers with the tools, education, and support to deliver the highest quality care makes the biggest difference in the world. Thank you to the scholarship committee, I’m grateful for your belief in my potential and am looking forward to contributing to our community.

Click here for more information on MEDEX Northwest Student Scholarships. Congratulations to all of the 2023 MEDEX Student Scholarship winners! 

#    #    #

Operational since 1969, MEDEX Northwest is the second oldest physician assistant education program in the U.S., and the largest civilian program. MEDEX currently has a total of over 250 first-year (didactic) and second-year (clinical) students hard at work across five campuses – Seattle, Tacoma, Spokane, Anchorage and Kona – in the states of Washington, Alaska and Hawaii.