MEDEX Northwest is housed in the Schoenberg Center on the Gonzaga University campus along with the UW School of Medicine program. Situated along the Spokane River near downtown Spokane, Gonzaga has its own School of Nursing and Human Psychology, providing a rich environment for interprofessional opportunities.
- Family friendly
- Many choices for childcare, child activities and fun neighborhoods
- Hub of the surrounding region
- Spokane is the shopping, banking, commercial center for the “Inland Empire”
- Eastern WA, north Idaho, western MT and the lower part of British Columbia and Alberta, Canada
- The second-largest city in Washington State
- Spokane’s population is over 200,000
- The county’s population is 475,600
- Sunny skies more than 300 days per year
- MUCH less rainy than Seattle!
- Active nightlife
- Many breweries, vineyards and tasting rooms, live music, outdoor dining, with First Friday events every month
- Vibrant art community
- Big and small theaters, the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture, Best of Broadway series
- Host to many independent restaurants
- Spokane is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream
- Boating, skiing, camping, canoeing, kayaking, white-water rafting, hiking, trail walks, and lots more
Spokane Is Not
- Spokane is different than Seattle, and offers a more affordable lifestyle
- Spokane–Coeur d’Alene is not a rural setting but we are close to remote areas
- Spokane is less congested, with 15 minute “rush hour” traffic
- A beautiful downtown along the Spokane River
- Lots of restaurants, arts and music events, shopping, unique shops, activities
- Big events like Bloomsday and Hoopfest; participate in the competitions or become one of the medical volunteers!
- University District that includes WSU, EWU, Gonzaga University, Whitworth University and the UW WWAMI and MEDEX program
- Incredible number of lakes and rivers for boating, fishing, swimming
- Multiple on-off trail opportunities for running, biking, hiking
- Trail runs around Riverside State Park
- Miles of trails around Bowl and Pitcher Park
- Iller Creek Conservation Area with a hilly 6 mile loop
- Centennial trail from Idaho, through Spokane to Nine Mile Falls
Spokane Is Close To
- Five mountain ski resorts (50 to 100 miles)
- Coeur d’Alene, Idaho and one of the most beautiful lakes in the region (30 miles)
- Canada (126 miles)
- Yakima (203 miles)
- Ellensburg (172 miles)
- NE Oregon (170 miles)
- Seattle (280 miles)
- This is a great learning environment.
- We have affordable housing and parking.
- The Spokane campus was created in 1989.
- We have a smaller classroom size (average size 25), encouraging close interaction with faculty.
- Classes are held on the Gonzaga campus.
- Campus provides students with many opportunities for interaction with medical, pharmacy, dental and other allied health professions students.
- We have three full-time faculty and one support person.
- Many community faculty participate during the year in teaching and precepting.
- MEDEX students are active in multiple interdisciplinary and community activities: volunteering at House of Charity Clinic, Bloomsday Road Race medical teams, patient simulation workshops, etc.