We encourage students to apply as soon as possible! We recommend applying before the end of Foundations.The application is non-competitive.
See the Enrollment Policy for deadlines and other information.
The Underserved Pathway helps prepare future physicians to care for vulnerable and underserved populations. It engages students in three educational avenues: mentoring, developing a foundation of knowledge, and a variety of real-world experiences. Students can customize their pathway to meet their own educational goals and interests. Some students may focus on a specific population or community, while others may explore broader issues surrounding the underserved, such as advocacy or policy.
It’s essential to start the longitudinal mentorship and curriculum as soon as possible, so please apply early in your medical school career. See the Enrollment Policy for more information.
Why Join the Underserved Pathway?
- Guidance and support throughout medical school from an Underserved Pathway mentor
- Unique web-based curriculum not typically covered in medical school about issues that affect underserved populations
- Dedicated Underserved Pathway advisors, including faculty physicians
- Opportunities to collaborate with other students interested in careers working with underserved populations
- Certificate of Completion upon successful completion of Pathway requirements, given at graduation
- Acknowledgment of your participation in the UP in the Hooding Ceremony program
- Ability to highlight your participation in the UP in your Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) for residency applications
Still have questions? Please get in touch by emailing the Underserved Pathway Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.