It’s essential to start the longitudinal mentorship and curriculum as soon as possible so we encourage you to apply early in your medical school career! The application is non-competitive. All applications are due by July 1st between your MS2 and MS3 years. Students enrolling after Foundations Phase must show established mentorship by someone who meets the UP mentor criteria.
See the Enrollment Policy for deadlines and other information.
The Underserved Pathway helps prepare future physicians to care for rural and urban under-resourced, marginalized, and historically-excluded populations. It engages students in three educational avenues: mentoring, developing a foundation of knowledge, and a variety of real-world experiences. Students can customize their pathway to meet their own educational goals and interests. Some students may focus on a specific population or community, while others may explore broader issues surrounding the underserved, such as advocacy or policy.
Why Join the Underserved Pathway?
- CONNECT WITH COMMUNITY
- Guidance and support throughout medical school from an Underserved Pathway mentor
- Support from dedicated Underserved Pathway staff and faculty physicians
- Networking and collaboration opportunities with physicians and other medical students who are passionate about healthcare equity
- DELVE DEEPER INTO THE ISSUES
- Learn about issues not typically covered in medical school that affect underserved populations through our unique web-based curriculum and at our live events (two to three per year)
- Examples of web modules: Advocacy II: Tools for the Physician Advocate, Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Health, Ethics of Medical Volunteerism, Medicaid 101, Native Health, Refugee and Immigrant Health, Rural Health I: Living & Working in Rural Communities, Trauma-Informed Care
- BE RECOGNIZED FOR YOUR COMMITMENT
- Highlight your participation in the UP in your Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) for residency applications upon showing satisfactory progress toward Pathway requirements
- Earn a Certificate of Completion upon successful completion of Pathway requirements
- Be acknowledged for your participation in the UP in the Hooding Ceremony program upon successful completion of Pathway requirements
Still have questions? Please get in touch by emailing the Underserved Pathway Program Manager at email@example.com.