The University of Washington Sports Medicine Fellowship Program is committed to supporting a diverse, inclusive, and equitable learning environment. We uphold these values regardless of race, culture, ethnicity, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, spirituality, age, socioeconomic status, and mental and physical status. Each individual’s unique contributions and perspectives are valued while promoting high quality care through collaboration, professionalism, humility, and dedication to lifelong learning. Our program strives toward anti-racism through efforts to promote racial equity in training, patient care, scholarship, and community service.
Fellowship activities and highlights related to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Establishment of the Harborview Family Medicine Center (underserved clinical site for the UW Family Medicine Residency) as the continuity clinic for family med fellow
- Establishment of Everett Community College as the collegiate sports training site for the pediatric sports medicine fellow
- Establishment of Odessa Brown Community clinic as the continuity clinic for the pediatrics track fellow
- Provision of Cleveland High School as option for High School Sports Continuity Experience. Cleveland HS serves a largely underserved Latino and ethnically diverse community in central Seattle.
- Fellowship engagement in the State of Play Initiative
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion metrics are tracked and considered as part of our fellowship recruitment, with effort to interview more under-represented candidates than national norms (see below)
- Fellows may choose QI projects related to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the clinic setting or otherwise
- Faculty member Dr. Monique Burton featured on NBC News
- December, 2021: Faculty and staff have been appointment EDI leadership roles within the Department of Family Medicine and School of Medicine
- Program Administrator Carrie Wigton selected to serve a 2-year term in the UW Medicine Graduate Medical Education EDI Subcommittee